Loading
a

Tuesday, 1 September 2009

New (School) Year's Resolutions

What exactly is a New Year's resolution? It is a commitment to a project or the changing of a habit, often a lifestyle change that is advantageous for you. It is a promise that you make to yourself, traditionally in January, at the beginning of a new year. Making New Year’s resolutions is a common American tradition. The best resolutions, of course, are those that are realistic and based on your personal history. On the other hand, resolutions that are either too vague, big or unrealistic are comparatively more difficult to manage.
A new school year can be a good time to commit to making a few changes in your life, it can be a time to get inspired and make a new start. So, in the spirit of the season, here are some New (School) Year’s Resolutions for Students. Read the list and then pick the ones that you think can be useful for you. And if you have any questions, ideas or suggestions, please post a comment.

- I will study 4 more hours a week.
- I will organize a study group.
- I will pay more attention in class and I will ask questions if I don’t understand something.
- I will participate more in class discussions.
- At least once a week, I will review all of my notes.
- I will start keeping a calendar of my assignments to organize my time better.
- I will improve my grades.
- I will read the newspaper at least twice a week (online is fine).
- I will cut down on all those activities I waste too much time doing (video games, Facebook, TV, etc.) by 20 percent.
- I'll be nice to other kids. I'll be friendly to kids who need friends - like someone who is shy, or is new to my school.
- I will wipe negative "self talk" (for example: "I can't do it" or "I'm so dumb") out of my vocabulary.
- When I feel angry or stressed out, I will take a break and find constructive ways to deal with the stress, such as exercising, reading, writing in a journal or discussing my problem with a parent or friend.
- I will be forgiving with myself as a student. If I don’t always do as good as I’d like, I won’t beat myself up, and I won’t compare myself to other people. All I can do is the best I can.

And here are some resources for kids & teachers:

The 30 Best New Year’s Resolutions for Students
Absolute English
Lanternfish
Popular New Year's Resolutions
20 healthy new year's resolutions for kids

2 comments:

Annarita said...

Ciao Nadia, passo ad augurarti un buon inizio (e una buona continuazione!) di anno scolastico.

Bacioni.
annarita:)

Prof Zara said...

Ciao carissima, buon inizio anche a te e buon lavoro.
A presto,
Nadia